Unfortunately a patron next door was smoking. We were unable to shut our window because it was broken. The smoke fumes seeped under the door gap. We did inform the attendant on the night he did offer to change our room that evening but we were on our way out. When we came back the attendant didn't make eye contact and seemed disinterested in assisting us. We decided if it happened during the night we could call reception but there were no instructions on how to call. In the morning we informed the woman on reception of all of the above and she said you should have come and told us because the person would have been charged a cleaning fee. We were disappointed with the staff's response (or lack of). What struck me was their complete lack of accountability or acknowledgement of the impact this had on our stay.