Situated around five kilometres to the south of Launceston’s CBD, Kings Meadows is the largest commercial hub outside of the city centre. The suburb clusters around Hobart Road and runs north to south, with a predominantly residential housing area to the west, while the Launceston Golf Club and Carr Villa Memorial Park occupy its eastern edge.
Most of Kings Meadows commercial services are situated on or around Hobart Road, including fast food restaurants, banks, shops and the Kings Meadows Hotel. Just to the west is a large shopping centre with a supermarket, bakery, pharmacy and the Kings Meadows post office, while another supermarket and shopping centre lie to the northeast. The leafy walking trails of Machens Reserve sit within the residential streets which dominate the west of the suburb, together with an aged care facility and Kings Meadows High School. The Launceston Golf Club is situated on the edge of Kings Meadows Rivulet which stretches across the north-east of the suburb and is the oldest 18-hole golf course in Tasmania, established in 1899. It’s home to an 18-hole, par 72 course and picturesque golf club that serves drinks and snacks, as well as an on-site Pro Shop where equipment, clothing and tuition are available. Just to the south is the Carr Villa Memorial Park which serves as the major cemetery and crematorium in the city, set within beautifully landscaped parklands.
Public bus services connect Kings Meadows with Launceston’s CBD and its surrounding suburbs, with stops along Hobart Road and throughout the western residential area. The Launceston Golf Club is accessed along Opossum Road, while the Carr Villa Memorial Park has entrances along its northern, western and southern edges.
The cemetery grounds on which the Carr Villa Memorial Park are situated were originally owned by the Knight family, with a small college and boarding school known as the Carr Villa Establishment for Young Ladies opening in the mid-19th century. The council purchased the land in 1881 and a public burial ground was established, with the crematorium and chapel added in 1938.